Sunday, May 27, 2012

Thanks to Seth Godin ...

One of the most prolific writers I know.  And I'm not talking about cranking out epic novel after epic novel a la "War and Peace."  If so, I wouldn't read his work.  However, some of his stuff is pretty "epic" in the sense that it is thought-provoking and wise.  His clarity and focus is amazing and his ideas are a never ending source of inspiration for me. 

Okay, I'll stop gushing.  Just check out his work for yourself, if you don't believe me.  And I have to admit, I'm a marketing nerd and "organizational management" is a bit of a preoccupation of mine.  Call me crazy!

One of his recent posts really hit home for me.  Mainly because I've been struggling to get back onto the writing wagon for some time now.  I just never seem to make any headway and give up before I start.  One good post and I'm through.  

I think it has to do with time.  I'm a bit verbose.  And overwhelmed.  But check this out:

"All day long you're emailing or tweeting or liking or meeting... and every once in a while, something tangible is produced. But is there a mark of your passage? Fifty years later, we might hear a demo tape or an outtake of something a musician scratched together while making an album. Often, though, there's no trace.

What would happen if you took ten minutes of coffeebreak downtime every day and produced an online artifact instead? What if your collected thoughts about your industry became an ebook or a series of useful instructions or pages or videos?"

That's Seth ... he's talking to ME!   And he makes it sound so simple.  Just 10 minutes a day.  I think I can do that.  


So here it is, people.  My commitment ... in writing ... 10 minutes a day.  (And twice on Sunday.)  I can do this!  Flex that writing muscle, build that habit.  Spend one of those WWF breaks on the blog.  (Sorry 'words' friends, you'll just have to wait a few more hours for that next word.)


While I can't promise that they will all be gems (even Seth can have his off days), I can commit to consistency.  And one gem out of 10 posts is still a gem.  And much better than ZERO gems out of ZERO posts.  


No comments: