Monday, June 4, 2012

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to camp I go...

Well, tomorrow at the 'butt crack' of dawn, I am heading to girls' camp.  This will be my fourth year in my adult years.  I went for about six years when I was 12 to 18 years old.  There were good times and some not so good times, but overall, I have good memories of girls' camp.

Now as a leader, I get to put my stamp on the experience for younger girls.  I'd like for them to learn some really important skills that they may find useful at the most unexpected moment.  I would also like for the girls to appreciate the beauty and majesty of God's grand creation called Earth.  Nature is simple and complex, awesome and inspiring.  Sometimes we just don't take the time to notice it.

Okay, yes the spiritual side of it is important too.  My big beef as a kid was that it was a little too "in your face" and that it was not an opportunity to discover our own spirituality.  Too rote, too pat.  That's just not me and it took me a while to come to grips with my resentment.  I hope that I can be a positive influence without being pushy or over-the-top. 

Lastly, I just hope that the girls have fun.  Singing, cracking jokes, playing games, doing skits and being just plain silly.  This is the place for just that ... no make up, no pretenses, no putting on airs.  At least, not in theory.  Sometimes it takes a minute to get that point across.  Along those lines, I also hope that there is no drama.  Get over yourself, get along with one another and just chillax.

So off to camp I go.  See you at the end of the week.  After a hot shower and a nap, of course.

No comments: