Sunday, July 1, 2012

One of my favorite months of the year

I just love July.  It's a great month.  Summer time is in full swing and the weather is bright and sunny.  Long days, full of energy and life.  The plants are growing towards a bountiful harvest and nature is abuzz - quite literally, as the mosquitoes are at their peak as well.  (Hooray for "Deep Woods Off"!)

It makes me happy to be born during this time of year.  Ir's easy to celebrate when life is so full and abundant.  One could certainly feel that same way just about any time of the year, I suppose.  It is just such a blessing to have been born when and where and to whom I was born.

Now nearly a half a century later, I'm beginning to realize how fortunate I've been all of my life.  I grew up in a safe place, with a walkable neighborhood teeming with families and kids my age.  I have two incredible parents who most of all, love and care for one another and reflect a foundation of faith and good morals.  I was gifted with a good brain and various talents.  Not only that, I've had opportunities to develop my talents and intellect and outlets to share and use them to hopefully benefit others.

There are so many blessings over the years that I would be unable to count them.  Relatively good health ... check.  Financial stability ... check.  A lovely home and stuff to fill it ... check.  A livelihood that not only puts food on the table, but is one that I love ... check.  Good people with whom I associate ... check.  Hope for the future ... check. 

I could go on.  Really!  Some may just say it's all about attitude.  And it is!  I think that a positive attitude has helped me to see the blessings and advantages that I have.  However, it's more than that.  I actually have advantages and blessings that I would be remiss if I were to take them for granted.  Not everyone has that same lot in life. 

I'm not exactly sure why I have the circumstances I've had.  At the same time, why did Harvey have more than his share of challenges from an early age on?  My suspicion is that it speaks to the type of person we are when we get to this mortal existence and what we have the potential to become both here and in the hereafter.  I'll have to wait on validating that hypothesis.

Ultimately, we have choices and regardless of our plight in life, we can be thankful and continue to aspire to greater things, or wallow in pity and cease to grow.  Thankfully, I have been blessed with a nature to choose the former and examples all around me of those who do the same.  It's a great life!

Happy July, everyone!  It's a great month to celebrate and be alive.  I am looking forward to it with gusto!

No comments: